When using the TurboLaw Migration Utility to move your TurboLaw data from one computer to another, you may encounter an error when you are finishing the migration on the new (destination) computer. The error message will say "Illegal character in path."
This error message is caused by one or more of the files saved in your TurboLaw having a combination of path and file name which is longer than 255 characters. File paths and names in Windows are technically limited to a maximum of 255 characters. Because of this, the TurboLaw Migration Utility will be unable to finish the migration.
To work around this problem, you can finish the migration manually.
- Double-click your migration file. This will open the file, showing you the contents - you should see a folder called "Cases" and a file called "turbolaw" or "turbolaw.mdb."
- Select both of these items and copy them (right-click and choose Copy, or press CTRL+C on your keyboard).
- Close out of this window and double-click your My Computer icon and navigate to the TurboLaw data folder.
- On Windows 7 and Vista, by default this will be:
- On Windows XP, by default this will be:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TurboLaw
- Once in the TurboLaw data folder, paste the files you copied previously (right-click and choose Paste or press CTRL+V on your keyboard).
- If you are asked if you want to overwrite any files that are already there, choose Yes.
- Once the copy is complete, you can close this window and open TurboLaw. You should see all your cases listed.