If you have an printer which is capable of double-sided (automatic duplex) printing, and your computer is a Mac running Apple OS X, and you are using TurboLaw's hosted service via Microsoft Remote Desktop, you may encounter an issue where documents printed from TurboLaw's hosted environment always print double-sided, even if you select to print them single-sided.
This issue is caused by a default setting in the CUPS core printing system of OS X. This default setting overrides whatever you set for double-sided printing from TurboLaw's hosted environment.
To resolve this issue, you will need to change this default setting. Doing so requires your Apple administrator credentials (user name & password that you use to log on to your Mac or change system settings).
- Open Safari and enter the following URL to bring up the CUPS page: http://localhost:631
Note: Access to the CUPS page may be blocked. To enable it, open the Terminal application and type:
sudo cupsctl WebInterface=yes, then press Enter. You will be prompted to enter your password; enter your Apple password and press Enter again to continue. Once this is done, you can close the Terminal application and refresh the page in Safari.
- With the CUPS web page open, click on Printers at the top of the page, and then click on the printer you are using and which is printing double-sided.
- From the Administration drop down menu, select Set Default Options.
- On the next page, scroll down until you see an option which mentions double-sided (or 2-sided, or something similar - the wording will vary depending on your exact printer model) and change it to single-sided (or 1 sided, or similar).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the button labeled Set Default Options. You will be prompted for your user name and password - this is your Apple user name and password, which you use to log on to your Mac or to change system settings.
Once this is done, you'll receive a message stating that the information change is completed. You should now be able to print from TurboLaw's hosted environment and it will not print double-sided by default anymore.